Friday, July 24, 2026

When Infidelity Enters a Marriage

I came across a post yesterday that simply asked,

"How do you forgive your cheating husband? I'm in so much pain, and I don't think I can restore our marriage and forgive him."

I sat with those words for a while.

Not because I had a clever answer.
But because I could almost feel the weight behind them.

Some questions aren't theological debates.

They're cries from people whose world has just collapsed.

I've often said this:

Infidelity is cancerous to a marriage.

Not because every marriage dies from it.

But because nothing remains untouched.

Trust.
Safety.
Intimacy.
Memories.
Even ordinary moments become suspicious.

The person who once felt like home suddenly feels like a stranger.

I heard the story of a couple who, even after reconciliation, the wife would still sob profusely every time they were intimate.

It's easy to say,

"Just forgive them,"

And I get it.

Forgiveness is central to the Christian faith.
We have been forgiven much, and we're called to forgive much.

But anyone who says those words casually has probably never stood where this spouse is standing.

Because betrayal doesn't simply wound your emotions.
It shatters your sense of reality.


One of the cruelest parts of infidelity is this:

The person who caused the deepest wound is often the very person from whom comfort would normally come.

That's a painful place to live.

Can a marriage recover?

Yes.

Some do.

Beautifully.

I've seen marriages become healthier after genuine repentance, painful honesty, patient rebuilding, accountability, wise counseling, and years of consistent faithfulness.

But let's be honest.

Not every marriage recovers.

Because reconciliation requires two willing people.

Forgiveness can be offered by one.

Trust cannot be rebuilt by one.


This is where Scripture is remarkably honest.

Jesus teaches us to forgive.

He also acknowledges sexual immorality as legitimate grounds for divorce.

Notice what He doesn't do.

He neither commands divorce nor dismisses the betrayal as though it were insignificant.
He recognizes the gravity of what has happened.

Sometimes we (Christians) unintentionally place another burden on the wounded spouse.

"If you've truly forgiven, you should be over it."

That ain't forgiveness...
we are simply recommending emotional amnesia.

The Bible never tells us to pretend betrayal didn't happen.

Forgiveness releases the debt.

It does not erase the consequences.

If a marriage is to recover after infidelity, there is usually far more required than an apology.
  • There must be repentance.
  • We need transparency.
  • A willingness to answer difficult questions.
  • New boundaries must be put in place.
  • Some patterns need to break.
  • And we need TIME.
Lots of time.

And perhaps most importantly...

Consistency...a consistent life that slowly becomes believable again.

Trust does not have a flip switch...
It's rebuilt in thousands of ordinary moments where someone's actions finally begin to match their words.


If you're the one who was betrayed...

Please hear this.

Your struggle doesn't mean you're a bad Christian.

The tears, the anger, the confusion.
The days you feel hopeful followed by the days you feel shattered all over again...

None of those surprise God.

According to Psalm 34:18, He is close to the brokenhearted.

And healing is not measured by how quickly you stop hurting.


If you're the one who committed the betrayal...

Don't ask your spouse to heal on your timeline.

Don't confuse their triggers with unforgiveness.

Don't demand trust.
Instead, become trustworthy.

Every day.
Again and again.
For as long as it takes.

That is part of repentance too.

Perhaps this is why Scripture compares marriage to Christ and the Church.

Not because marriage is easy.
But because it reveals both the devastating cost of unfaithfulness and the astonishing beauty of grace.

Sometimes grace restores a marriage.
Sometimes grace gives someone the strength to walk away after covenant has been repeatedly broken.

Both require courage.
Both require wisdom.
And both require the presence of God.


So if someone asked me,

"How do you forgive a cheating spouse?"

My answer would be this:

One prayer at a time.
One honest conversation at a time.
One surrendered day at a time.

And sometimes...
one tear at a time.

Because healing rarely happens all at once.
But with God, it can happen.

Whether that healing restores the marriage, or restores the wounded heart after unimaginable loss.

Let's talk.

Do you think Christians sometimes confuse forgiveness with immediate reconciliation?

What do you believe are the essential ingredients if a marriage is to recover after infidelity?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.


๐Ÿ‘ฃ Be Better. ๐Ÿ’› Love Better. ๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿพ Do Better. ๐Ÿ’Marriage Works.

© Lanre Olagbaju

No comments: